Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Near the end of Day One

Today was my first day of my new wheat-free, dairy-free, pescetarian diet!  With the exception of taking supplements and adding protein powder to a meal, I really didn't do anything too different from what I would eat normally.

Each morning, I have to take a probiotic supplement.  I think it's supposed to balance out the bacteria in the gut.  For breakfast, I made oatmeal with melted butter, cinnamon, almonds, flax seeds, honey, and almond milk.  This is something that I actually eat quite often for breakfast, except I normally put a handful of raisins in the mix as well.  I am not supposed to eat any dried fruit, so I had to omit it from the breakfast.  I added too much almond milk and it got soggy very quickly and had to chuck some of it out because it just wasn't pallatable :(

For a snack, I had a frozen banana, raspberry, and coconut milk smoothie.  Again, this is something that I actually eat quite often, except today I added the Vega vanilla chai protein powder.  As I mentioned yesterday, I am really not a fan of protein powders, especially as this particular brand makes some undoubtedly false claim that eating a Vega breakfast (rather than a bacon and egg or cereal-based breakfast) for one year is the equivalent of "turning off a 60 watt light bulb for ... 521 consecutive days!"  (I want to see whatever criteria they're basing this calculation on.) 

--But I digress! I bought the vanilla chai powder which, although actually tastes nice, was really overpowering and I couldn't really taste the banana, raspberries, or the coconut milk (which on their own are SO delicious)!

For lunch, I made pasta!  A few days ago, I bought a sundried tomato pesto from Glenda's Dips in the Covent Garden Market and it is incredible.  I added a spoonful of that to some whole wheat pasta with sauteed red and yellow peppers, zucchini, red onion, carrots, black beans, and crumbled feta!  I shouldn't be eating wheat pasta, but I had one box left on my shelf so I decided to use it rather than chuck it away.  I make this dish quite a bit, actually, except this time I added in the black beans for protein.  (I usually use black beans for nachos but, now that I can't have cheese, I won't be making those anymore and used a can for the pasta.)  I made enough for leftovers, so either tomorrow or Friday I will be having that for lunch.

I had an orange for a snack before going shopping.  I bought some baking supplies today and baked a spelt loaf with flax seeds sprinkled on top.  Spelt is a relative of wheat and in Ancient Greece is what most of their bread was made from.  It used very few ingredients and the spelt flour is quite cheap from the bulk barn.  I guesstimate I made a loaf for just over $2.00.   It is very good, too!  I had two thin slices and it has a very heavy, rich taste.  (Also, I got a steal on almond milk from the bulk store: $2.49 for 946mL ... normally, it fetches close to $4 at the market or grocery store!)

For dinner, I made a salmon fillet and a nice salad.  Again, this is something that I would make for myself normally, although not too often as it requires a bit more prep for someone lazy like me (I don't make salads very often because I hate washing and drying the leaves ... it's just a pet peeve, I don't know why it bothers me, really.)  I took a little inspiration from my Cafe One days and chopped up some organic strawberries, avocado, and red onion along with a honey-balsamic vinaigrette.  It tasted really nice ... until I chomped down on a fish bone in the fillet.  That put me off a bit.  Although I love fish, I do hate being reminded that it was once alive :( (the reason I can't eat wings or ribs except once in a blue moon).  I also made way too much and ended up throwing out some of it.  I don't like to throw food away, but the vinaigrette would have made everything soggy, anyway.

One other thing is that before my lunch and dinner meals I have to take some digestive enzyme pills.  I think the idea behind it is that when they're in my stomach they help digest the food much quicker and that gives my GI tract a bit of a break.  Before I go to bed I have to mix a scoop of some intestine-helping powder with water.  The powder is supposed to help the intestinal lining.

So that's been my day!  It basically spent the entire time in the kitchen cooking and washing dishes, then cooking and washing dishes all over again.  But with some planning, I should be able to make enough of certain foods that I can make a big batch and eat it over the course of a few days.  I know for work I plan on making California roll sushi (I'm not supposed to eat raw fish for a while), I could whip up a pasta pretty quickly, and take some fruit with me, too.

Apart from eating whole wheat pasta and not drinking nearly as much water as I should have, I pretty much did everything along the lines of my program!  And really, it wasn't very difficult.  I know it will be more of a challenge when I have to work (luckily I have today and tomorrow off).

No comments:

Post a Comment