Monday, 3 September 2012

Reflections

After reading my very first post in this blog, I decided to do a reflective post on this past year.  It had lots of ups and lots of downs, but I think it has overall been a positive year.  Here's some of the things that I think are worth noting, and that I think can qualify as 'acheivements' for September 2011-September 2012.

*I received an Honours Specialization B.A. in English Language and Literature and a Certificate in Theatre Arts!

*I began my own theatre company: SEE Productions! 

*I produced, directed, marketed, and designed my very first theatrical production: Goodness by Michael Redhill, along the way meeting and getting to know so many amazing, talented, and unique people!

*I'm currently directing and producing my second theatrical production: Leo by Rosa Laborde.  I've met some new great people in this production, and have learned a lot about the horrors that Chile and the country's citizens have faced in the past 40 years.

*I acted in The Revenger's Tragedy by Thomas Middleton, another English Department production, and again met many wonderful people!

*I lost a job, was unemployed for 2 months, then was hired and worked my first full-time job and stuck it out for 8 months (getting up at 5:30 or 6 AM every morning and working for 10 hours a day ... and let me tell you that from January to mid-March my schedule was rise at 5:30 AM, work 10 hours, rehearse until around 9:30 PM, go home to work on the show some more, and sleep on about 5-6 hours a night before having to do it again the next day).  I honestly don't know how I did it, but I DID!

*I started volunteering (something I have wanted to do for a long time but never had any time to spare) at Art for AIDS International. 

*I took my health into my own hands: having been diagnosed with an inflammatory bowel disease, I met with a holistic nutritionist to change my diet and heal myself.  It hasn't been an easy road ... I've eliminated various inflammatory foods from my diet (i.e. wheat, dairy, soy, and corn) which, because of our culture's reliance on pre-packaged and processed foods, inevitably turn up in almost everything we eat.  As a result, I've had to make almost every meal and snack for myself from scratch, the exception being the odd vegan or gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free health foodstuff.  So far, I'm probably the healthiest I have ever been in my life (apart from the bit about having a disease), but I still am not able to re-integrate these foods back into my diet.  I've decided to look into taking medication in conjunction with my nutritional therapy so that I can hopefully start eating more normally again.

*After 4 years in English undergraduate courses, I was able to read for FUN!  Since last September I have read:
1) Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures
2) The Princess Bride
3) Slaughterhouse Five
4) The Unbearable Lightness of Being
5) The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
6) Moab Is My Washpot
7) 100 Years of Solitude
8) Water for Elephants
9) Wide Sargasso Sea
10) A Complicated Kindness
11) Goodness (a million times over)
12) Leo (again, like a million times)
13) The Hunger Games Trilogy
14) Life of Pi
15) The Omnivore's Dilemma
16) The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, part of the Flavia Deluce series
17) The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (another Deluce book)
18) Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
19) Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?
20) Bridget Jones's Diary
21) Choke
22) The Handmaid's Tale
23) Oryx and Crake
24) The Blind Assassin
25) The Penelopiad
26) Blood Work: A Tale of Mystery and Murder in the Scientific Revolution
27) Fahrenheit 451
28) The Hobbit
29) Beatrice and Virgil
30) The Awakening
31) The Castle of Otranto
32) Heading South, Looking North: A Bilingual Journey
33) Coming Up For Air
34) The Turn of the Screw

I think I've forgotten a few, but that's a lot of books! 

Looking forward to the next year, I'm starting school again next week, starting a new show next week (Knight of the Burning Pestle by Francis Beaumont), hoping to get an interesting and fun work study position at the university (hopefully at CHRW), hopefully completing my 4 month internship abroad (I have my eye on Australia!), and getting healthier!




No comments:

Post a Comment