Wednesday, 19 September 2012

The Ongoing Reading List

UPDATE: It is August 31st, 2013 and I have concluded this list.  I read 66 books and/or plays!  That's 44 plays, 13 fiction books, and 9 non-fiction books. I'm really pleased with what I accomplished this year.

Scroll below to see my original post and the title of every book/play I read in 12 months:

Last year, I was able to read for fun all over again.  That was my primary goal: to read for fun.  This year (Sept '12-Sept '13) I'm going to nuance my reading list a bit.  I am going to place an emphasis on plays, seeing as theatre is what I want to do in my career.  I won't limit myself to drama (if some novel or non-fiction grabs my attention I'm going to read that, too) but I am going to try to read as many plays as I can.  This will be an ongoing updated list of titles after I have finished reading them.

I have read:
1) Something Fierce: Memoirs of a Revolutionary Daughter by Carmen Aguirre
2) The Crucible by Arthur Miller (actually re-read this one for pleasure two years after my American Drama course)
3) Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots (A Memoir) by Deborah Feldman
4) The Laramie Project by Moises Kaufman & Tectonic Theatre Project
5) The Wild Duck by Henrik Ibsen
6) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
7) The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
8) The History Boys by Alan Bennett
9) Kingfisher Days by Susan Coyne
10) Kim's Convenience by Ins Choi
11) The Edible Woman by Dave Carley (based on the novel by Margaret Atwood)
12) The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman
13) A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
14) The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
15) The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett
16) Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Gold
17) Call the Midwife: A true story of the East End in the 1950's by Jennifer Worth
18) The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan
19) Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
20) The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
21) The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
22) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
23) Bat Boy: The Musical by Keyth Farley and Brian Flemming; music and lyrics by Laurence O'Keefe
24) Zorba: a Musical by Joseph Stein; lyrics by Fred Ebb; music by John Kader
25) Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
26) 'da Kink in my hair: voices of black womyn by trey anthony
27) Scratch by Charlotte Corbeil-Coleman
28) The Noam Chomsky Lectures: A Play by Daniel Brooks and Guillermo Verdecchia
29) Innocence Lost: A Play About Steven Truscott by Beverley Cooper
30) Shakespeare's Dog by Rick Chafe, adapted from the novel by Leon Rooke
31) August: Osage County by Tracy Letts
32) Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene O'Neill
33) Waiting for the Parade by John Murrell
34) The Little Years by John Mighton
35) Bingo! by Daniel MacIvor
36) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead  by Tom Stoppard
37) Tideline by Wajdi Mouawad
38) Scorched by Wajdi Mouawad
39) The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes
40) Lambton Kent by Andre Alexis
41) The Palace of the End by Judith Thompson
42) Bone Cage by Catherine Banks
43) Rope's End by Douglas Bowie
44) Goodbye, Piccadilly! by Douglas Bowie
45) Top Girls by Caryl Churchill
46) Hysteria by Terry Johnson
47 Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
48) Othello by William Shakespeare
49) Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
50) The Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare
51) Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw
52) Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward
53) Noises Off by Michael Frayn
54) A Man for All Seasons by Robert Bolt
55) The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
56) The Real Inspector Hound by Tom Stoppard
57) Memoirs by Pierre Eliot Trudeau
58) The Importance of Being Ernest by Oscar Wilde
59) Tribes by Nina Raine
60) London Road by Alecky Blythe, music by Adam Cork
61) It's Your Money: Becoming a Woman of Independent Means by Gail Vaz-Oxlade
62) Verbatim, Verbatim: Contemporary Documentary Theatre by Will Hammond and Dan Steward
63) Other Desert Cities by Jon Robin Baitz
64) The Passion of Narcisse Mondoux by Gratien Gelinas
65) Slow Death by Rubber Duck by Rick Smith and Bruce Lourie
66) The Zero Waste Home by Bea Johnson

What are some of your favourite plays?  Or do you have any suggestions for fiction or non-fiction?  I'd be interested to hear your recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. I would put these on everyone's book bucket-list:
    Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
    Dune - Frank Herbert
    Maus - Art Spiegelman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! :) I have heard "Maus" is excellent.

      Delete